Saturday, January 15, 2011

Highlight: Global Mormonism Project

So recently I was chasing random thoughts of mine through the long, cavernous halls of the Internet. I've been thinking lately about how much I miss Turkey (I spent a week there in late 2009 on a pilgrimage to the sites of the seven ecumenical councils), and I'd love to go back there someday, especially to visit places further east such as Cappadocia. At any rate, this got me to thinking about what sort of presence The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has in Turkey these days, and so I did a quick Google search, pondering: "What sort of website would actually have that information?"

I wonder no longer! I promptly came across the Global Mormonism Project, hosted - naturally - by Brigham Young University. The Global Mormonism Project has information about LDS history in every country that it's touched, as well as useful statistics and other data. I relished the information on its Turkey page, though I was surprised that there are really that few Latter-day Saints anywhere on Turkish soil. I'm also stunned to find how few Latter-day Saints there are in Greece; there seemed like a few more when I was there! (Greece is where I was living when I took the missionary discussions at a branch in Athens.) At any rate, I think the Global Mormonism Project is a valuable resource, and don't be surprised if sometime soon I add it to the link list here.

No comments:

Post a Comment